Here are the answers to the questions. BUT, use them only to check yourself!
1. Who is Nick Carraway?
The Narrator, Daisy’s cousin, Tom’s old Yale classmate, Jordan’s love interest, Gatsby’s neighbor
2. Nick says, “I’m inclined to reserve all judgments,” and he claims it’s a matter of what? (p. 2)
3. Gatsby had a “heightened sensitivity to” what? (p. 2)
The promises of life.
*Know this quote and be ready to talk about it on the final (p. 2):
“it was a readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again. No—Gatsby turned out all right in the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dream that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men.”
4. How did Nick find his house? (p.3)
A young man at his office suggester that they take a house together in a commuting town, but at the last minute their firm ordered him to Washington, so Nick went to the country alone.
5. Where did Nick live and who was his neighbor? (p. 5)
West Egg (New Money) and Jay Gatsby
6. How does Nick know Daisy? How does he know Tom? (p. 5)
Daisy is Nick’s second cousin once removed. Nick knows Tom from college.
7. Describe the Buchanans’ house. (p. 6)
It was even more elaborate than Nick expected. It was a cheerful red-andwhite Georgian Colonial mansion that overlooked the bay. The lawn started at the beach and ran toward the front door for a quarter of a mile, jumping over
sun-dials and brick walls and burning gardens. It had French windows.
8. What is the first question Daisy asks Nick? (p. 9)
“Do they miss me?”
9. Every year Daisy waits for something, but misses it. What is it? (p. 11)
The longest day of the year.
10. Tom is reading a scientific book. What is it and who wrote it? (p.12-13)
The Rise of the Colored Empires by Godard.
11. What affected the butler’s nose? (p. 13)
His job of polishing silver.
12. What did Miss Baker tell Nick about Tom? (p.15)
That he’s got some woman in New York.
13. Nick tries to calm Daisy down by asking about her daughter. How does she respond? What did Nick miss, and why did he miss it? (p. 16)
She said that even though they are cousins, they don’t know each other very well. He missed her wedding because he was at war.
14. Daisy cried when she found out her baby was a girl. What thought calms her? (p. 17)
The hope that her daughter will be a beautiful, little fool.
15. What does Nick see when he comes home? How does he know not to call out? (p.20-21)
A figure that emerged from the shadow of his neighbor’s mansion and who was standing with his hands in his pockets regarding the silver pepper of the stars. Something about his leisurely movements suggested this was Gatsby. He gave a sudden intimation that he was content to be alone—he stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way, and Nick could have sworn he